Sunday, March 30, 2008

"I came, and I saw, and I conquered all."

"All y'all...."

(Photo by Daniel Arnold, from the Black Lips' MySpace)



Friday night, myself and three friends journeyed up to ye olde Athens, Ga. to see above gentlemen play the 40 Watt. I've never danced so hard in my life. (Review forthcoming at the Stomp and Stammer website, I think. Stay tuned.) I always forget how much I miss the 40 Watt until I walk in the door. I don't know if it's just sheer number of visits that makes me all warm and fuzzy inside, but I feel at home in that space. I think it's the strings of lights hanging from the ceiling and the fact that almost every publication I write for is always sitting on the ledge next to the front door.

Our boys The Selmanaires opened the evening, and, to use a technical term, completely ruled. As always. It was pretty strange to see them play somewhere other than Atlanta, but it didn't dampen the performance for me at all.

With the Black Lips enjoying international success of late, it gives me some sort of twisted sense of Atlanta pride to see them play and watch their progress.
Seems like the lyrics to "Veni Vidi Vici" might hold some water here. They seem to be actually conquering all. Along those lines, I discovered via another Atlanta music blog this morning that they've filmed Take-Away Shows. I've mentioned several times my admiration for Vincent Moon & co., and these are perhaps a little less magical than some of the others, but still very very brilliant.






Also, the Black Lips' blog is seriously amusing, if you're bored.

No comments: