Friday, April 3, 2009

Stuff that will rock. Part 1.

It's Spring. Which means the world of music releases will soon EXPLODE. Ok, maybe not quite explode, but maybe pop? Not that kind of pop...anyway.

What I mean is, there are many upcoming releases about which I'm understandably excited. I thought I might bring a few of them to your attention. Of course, Pitchfork's got a comprehensive list of Spring releases here...as always, the resented tastemakers give us exactly what we need and we just have to roll our eyes and accept it. For a bit more personal take, keep reading.

1. Sunset Rubdown - Dragonslayer, rel. 6/23/09 (Jagjaguwar)



It's still too early to see any "premature evaluation"-type posts (has it even leaked?), but I'm sure it'll be great. I've been a little addicted to Spencer Krug since last year's Wolf Parade release, At Mount Zoomer. I'm sure this next will be no less awesome (if not more so, since I tend to like his Sunset Rubdown work a bit better than Wolf Parade releases). Stereogum has a tracklisting for the new album here, if you're interested.

The awesomeness of which Sunset Rubdown is capable:


2. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest, rel. 5/26/09 (Warp)



Even in dire financial straits, somehow Grizzly Bear and Department of Eagles records get bought with my wallet...I'm not really sure how it happens. Grizzly Bear's latest, named after an uninhabited Massachusetts island, apparently, is one of the most anticipated of the year for many of our ilk, promising orchestral pop the likes of which has never been heard! (Excuse my hyperbole.)

My favorite song from their previous LP, Yellow House:


Also, Ed Droste is very amusing on Twitter.



I caved too. Follow me on Twitter if you're into that sort of thing.

To be continued...

No comments: