Thursday, October 23, 2008

Marnie Stern, Okkervil River and Pontiak...gasping for air

So it certainly has been a struggle keeping everything straight this past couple of months. Can barely keep my head above water. Lemme tell you, Paste:Local Atlanta has me running in circles most of the time. (SO YOU SHOULD PROBABLY READ IT EVERY DAY AND LEAVE COMMENTS.) I don't even get much time to listen and digest new music.


A couple of new things I've stumbled upon, despite the fact that I basically live in a cave (and by "a cave," I mean "stressed out alone in my living room"...pity the lonely freelancer):

1. Marnie Stern, who rocks. I mean really rocks. I don't have the album, but I will most certainly be buying it or stealing it from Geoff soon. Have a listen to the song that converted me.

Transformer - Marnie Stern

2. Okkervil River - The Stand Ins
I got a record player! And this was my third vinyl purchase! I just got into their previous record, The Stage Names, a couple of months back, and while their specific sound aesthetic doesn't speak to me automatically, Will Sheff's lyricism is truly second-to-none. He paints poetic pictures-- I love it. The new album hasn't totally sunken in for me, but I'm spinning it on the turntable over and over...maybe I'll wear out my first record!

Lost Coastlines - Okkervil River

3. Pontiak played at one of Have You Heard's Monday night shows at 97 Estoria about a month back, and their set was so compelling that I bought their CD. Have a listen!

3. White Hands - Pontiak

Enjoy, and reciprocate. Needs the new musics! (And all these press release emails are starting to hurt my head.)

2 comments:

Amy said...

I cannot help you out much with "new music." (As I've said before, my music tastes can generally be described as "whatever Julia was talking about six months ago"). But lately the new-ish music I've been listening to includes Vampire Weekend, Albert Hammond Jr, M Ward, Coconut Records, et al.

Kabueller said...

Have you listened to Black Sheep Boy? It is one of their older albums, and, as of this moment, my personal favorite.